Monday, February 10, 2014

Movie and a Map

Trying to make up for lost time....well, not entirely lost, just allocated away from my classroom (2 field trips and a snow day) English - finishing up To Kill a Mockingbird - final questions will be checked off tomorrow and work will continue on their Plot Trees. We will also be watching the movie, followed by an in-class writing activity. We tried out a new discussion format today called the Socratic Seminar --- ask you student about it. I think it went well....but it will take getting used to. They are VERY trained to raise hands and answer questions - they know how to look at me when they respond...this method requires them to have a book group type conversation and my only role is to ask the leading questions. I think it encourages more critical/analytical thinking on their part - and encourages them to look at body language, take turns, listen and include all voices. History - we have our groups set for the Washington State Map project. I choose the groups because I believe they grow a bit more socially/emotionally when they do not always work with the same group of friends. Each student has a packet - they will create templates and then map construction occurs in class starting Thursday or Friday. We will take about 3 days to get through this project. There will be a TEST on the map that is pretty challenging - please encourage them to study at home! 3rd q. choice books should be underway as soon as we finish TKM (in other words, this week) --- same format - ask your student to touch base with me if they need ideas :)